These awards support students in the academic study of religion and theology who are pursuing graduate program (Masters level or PhD) in religious studies and theology. The awards support Theta Alpha Kappa’s mission “to encourage, recognize, and maintain excellence” in “academic studies in Religion and Theology.”
Applicants must be entering the first year of their graduate program. Applicants must have obtained their undergraduate degree within the past three (3) years, from an institution with a TAK chapter, in which they were inducted as a member. Students may be awarded the TAK Graduate Fellowship only once.
1st place: $3,000
2nd place: $2,000
3rd place: $1,000
Applicants must submit:
- a formal letter of application from the applicant, indicating for which award they are applying, detailing their academic achievements to date, and their long-term academic goals and intentions. The letter should explain how these goals align with Theta Alpha Kappa’s mission of supporting excellence in academic studies in Religion and Theology;
- scans of the official transcript from their undergraduate institution.
- proof of acceptance and intent to matriculate into the first year of a relevant graduate program in the academic study of Religion or Theology.
- two letters of recommendation from faculty members who are the familiar with the applicant and will speak in detail to the applicant’s academic work in religion or theology. Applicants: it is your responsibility to ask faculty for letters of recommendation for the Graduate Fellowship Award, on institutional letterhead.
- a separate letter from the TAK chapter representative of the applicant’s undergraduate institution. The letter should confirm the student’s membership in TAK and that the chapter supports the student’s application. It should be written on institutional letterhead and submitted directly by the representative. (If the student will be inducted subsequent to the deadline, the faculty representative should indicate the planned date of induction.)
- a one-page cover sheet with the following information:
- the student’s physical mailing address that will be valid in June and July 202x (for example, the student’s permanent address);
- a statement from the student verifying that the copy of the transcript is of an unaltered, official transcript that accurately reflects their work;
- the names, email addresses, and phone numbers of the two faculty members who are submitting letters of recommendation on behalf of the applicant;
- the name, email address, and phone number of the TAK faculty representative who will confirm the student’s membership in TAK and that the chapter supports their application.