The Theta Alpha Kappa Graduate Fellowship Awards program supports students in the academic study of religion and theology who are pursuing graduate programs (master’s level or PhD) in religious studies and theology. The awards support Theta Alpha Kappa’s mission “to encourage, recognize, and maintain excellence” in “academic studies in Religion and Theology.” Applicants must be entering the first year of their graduate program. Applicants must have obtained their undergraduate degree within the past three years from an institution with a TAK chapter in which they were inducted as a member. Students may be awarded the TAK Graduate Fellowship only once. Fellowship award amounts are $3,000 for first place, $2,000 for second place, and $1,000 for third place. All application materials must be submitted by 11:59 pm Eastern time on Sunday, May 21, 2023, to the appropriate links at https://thetaalphakappa.org/graduate-fellowship-competition/
1. A formal letter of application from the applicant, detailing their academic achievements to date, and their long-term academic goals and intentions. The letter should explain how these goals align with Theta Alpha Kappa’s mission of supporting excellence in academic studies in religious studies and theology.
2. Scans of the official transcript from their undergraduate institution.
3. Proof of acceptance and intent to matriculate into the first year of a relevant graduate program in the academic study of religion or theology.
4. Two letters of recommendation (in PDF format, on institutional letterhead) from faculty members who are familiar with the applicant and will speak in detail to the applicant’s academic work (not co-curricular or service work) in religion or theology. Applicants: it is your responsibility to ask faculty for letters of recommendation for the Graduate Fellowship Award.
5. A separate letter from the TAK chapter representative of the applicant’s undergraduate institution. The letter should confirm the student’s membership in TAK and that the chapter supports the student’s application. It should be written on institutional letterhead and submitted directly by the representative. (If the student will be inducted subsequent to the deadline, the faculty representative should indicate the planned date of induction.)
6. A one-page cover sheet with the following information:
-the student’s legal name (to which the award check should be payable) and a physical mailing address that will be valid in Summer and Fall 2022 (for example, the student’s permanent address);
-a statement from the student verifying that the copy of the transcript is of an unaltered, official transcript that accurately reflects their work;
-the names, email addresses, and phone numbers of the two faculty members who are submitting letters of recommendation on behalf of the applicant;
-the name, email address, and phone number of the TAK faculty representative who will confirm the student’s membership in TAK and that the chapter supports their application.
Fellowship checks will be mailed upon evidence of actual matriculation in the fall. If you have any questions, please contact: email@example.com