2019 Graduate Fellowship Awards Competition
Your TAK chapter may nominate a senior or recent alumnus/a who continues to study religion or theology at the graduate level next year for the Graduate Fellowship Award. Nominees compete for three prizes – 1st of $3000, 2nd of $2000, and 3rd of $1000 – to be used for educational costs associated with matriculation in a religion or theology graduate degree program in Fall 2019.
This year, Theta Alpha Kappa requests applications be submitted through our online application form by 11:59 pm EST, April 23, 2019. Chapter verification and letters of recommendation are due by 11:59 pm EST, April 30, 2019.
The application from the nominee must include the following:
(1) a formal letter of application, detailing the nominee’s long-term educational goals and intentions in light of the purpose of Theta Alpha Kappa
(2) an unaltered scan of an official undergraduate transcript with a visible imprint or watermark
(3) proof of acceptance
(4) proof of intent to matriculate into a relevant graduate program
(5) a physical mailing address for the nominee that will be valid in June and July 2019;
(6) the names and contact information for two faculty members who are submitting letters of recommendation on behalf of the nominee
(7) the name and contact information of the TAK faculty representative at the chapter of the nominee, confirming the student’s membership in TAK and that the individual is the chapter’s nominee for the award.
PLEASE NOTE: ONCE YOU SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION USING OUR ONLINE FORM, YOUR RECOMMENDERS AND CHAPTER REPRESENTATIVE WILL BE CONTACTED AND PROMPTED TO SEND THEIR RESPONSE. IF YOU WAIT UNTIL THE DUE DATE OF THE SUBMISSION, YOUR LETTER WRITERS MAY NOT RECEIVE THE AUTOMATED REQUESTS PROMPTING THEM TO WRITE ON YOUR BEHALF UNTIL IT IS TOO LATE. THUS, APPLICANTS SHOULD BE SURE TO CONTACT RECOMMENDERS WELL IN ADVANCE AND ALERT THEM TO THE GFA APPLICATION DEADLINE AND TO MAKE SURE FORMS DO NOT END UP IN SPAM FOLDERS. APPLICANTS SHOULD ALSO SUBMIT THEIR APPLICATIONS IN ADVANCE OF THE DEADLINE IN ORDER TO FACILITATE REFERENCES WRITING.
In the event of any questions about the application process or award, please contact:
Below are links to the chapter verification form and recommender form you may send to your chapter representative and recommenders prior to the submission of your application. If not shared with them via a link, they will receive an automated message with the form when you submit your application.
TAK is pleased to announce the winners of the 2018 Annual Graduate Fellowship Awards competition.
Our first place winner is Mitchell Mallary (Alpha Eta Omicron Chapter, Judson University) who matriculates at the doctoral program of the University of St Andrews-Logos Institute.
There is a tie for the second place award.
One of the second place award recipients is Peter Yuanxi Chen (Alpha Gamma Lambda Chapter, Pomona College- the Claremont Colleges). Peter matriculates at the MA Program at The University of Chicago Divinity School.
The other second place award recipient is Samuel Stubblefield (Alpha Delta Eta Chapter, Indiana University-Bloomington). Samuel undertakes doctoral studies at the University of California, Berkeley.
The Board of Directors is grateful to the Awards Committee for their careful assessment of all applications and to the chapter representatives for encouraging their graduating seniors and alumni to apply for the Graduate Fellowship Award. We congratulate all applicants who begin the exciting journey of graduate studies in the field of religion and theology.